When the colliery was launched in 1924 it was claimed that it would create employment for over 1,000 local people. This was certainly achieved, but as the colliery became more mechanised so this number decreased to around 600 employees in the final years. Of these employees the underground workers represented between 75% and 80% of the total workforce. The colliery operated 24 hours a day and produced coal for five days a week, with the employees working across a range of different shift patterns.
Working conditions, as with most collieries, were difficult and dangerous, but despite this the colliers managed to build a reputation as "big hitters" and the colliery acquired the nickname "Clash" because of the loud noise from all the frenzied activity.