For site information or updates please email firstname.lastname@example.org
This mostly followed the route of the existing tramway to Cloud Hill and ran on to Worthington, Tonge, Melbourne and Derby. When New Lount Colliery was opened in 1924 it was connected by a further siding constructed for access from Newbold Colliery and Pipe works, via a level crossing on Melbourne Road, Newbold. It used part of the route of the old Coleorton Railway, behind Newbold School to sidings at Worthington Rough on the Derby line. Evidence of the line is still apparent. The Derby Line was closed completely in 1980, and part of it now forms the Cloud Hill cycle trail (Worthington to Derby).
The route to Ticknall was not converted from the old tramway. Goods had to be transhipped at a wharf located close to the tunnel's eastern entrance. A dwelling, named Tunnel House, was built there, together with a weighbridge. This arrangement continued until the tramway's last use on 20th May 1913, although it was not officially closed until September 1915.
The section of line between New Lount Colliery and Ashby - passing through Ashby tunnel - had lost its regular traffic prior to the Second World War. This part, and the line up towards Derby was used by the British Army and Allied engineers for training, from 1939 until late 1944, to prepare them for the invasion of mainland Europe. Engineers practised the demolition and rebuilding of railways, and the running and maintenance of a railway line and its rolling stock.
At Kings Newton the army was trained in the building of bridges over rivers.
The route was returned to the London Midland & Scottish Railway on 1st January 1945 but passenger traffic did not resume. The last train is thought to have been a rail tour on 28th June 1952; official closure coming on 9th May 1955. New Lount Colliery closed in 1968
‘George Stephenson’ engine with ‘Lount’ written on the side